Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Thunder Drowns

Sometimes I wish
I could drown
In the sea of forgetfulness
Swim in the ocean
Of simplicity
Do the backstroke
Over the depths

Yet I hold my breath
As they take me under
Their current is too strong
It’s my undertow
Can’t go against the flow
I row and row
Till I can row no more

Many times they appear still
But it’s the peace before the storm
I see the clouds rolling in
and the water stirring
I hear the thunder
Even before it comes
Drowning all other thoughts

Memories flood
and wash away
the good times
I’m thrown overboard
In the worst of storms
Gulping for air –
I’m drowning

I cry out
Where is my lifeboat?!
I take my last breath
As I’m going under
One last look at the sky
Accepting my fate – sinking…
Just then I see your face
Drowning out the thunder.

5-23-09
Copyright © 2009 Brian Jackson All rights reserved

No comments: