Saturday, February 20, 2010

No More







Three drips of blood
Fall to the ground
Red eyes and broken hearts
College applications and new starts

Rice and beans
Are precious things
Dirt pies and cloudy skies
Smell of death and swarms of flies

People leaving
They’ve done their part
They’ve quenched the thirst
Within their heart

I gave something
Is what they say
Now let me live
For it’s another day

It’s too much effort
To sacrifice more
I have to build bigger barns
To put more in store

What can I do
When the cable bill is due
The internet and electric
The gas and ooh ooh…I just remembered
There’s a steak on the grill

Sorry I have to go
I have to entertain my friends
Send me some pictures
Some ideas you recommend

Maybe later
when I have more time to spare
And I can save some more money
Give me time to prepare

Meanwhile the blood keeps dripping
And rain falls to the ground
Staining the applications
Of children who have drowned

2-20-10

Copyright © 2010 Brian Jackson All rights reserved

This is not directed at anyone, but it is written in the hope that we don't forget. I don't think we should feel guilty if we eat food or buy things that those who are poor may not be able to. There will always be great needs in this world. We are very spoiled here in America and sometimes I think we need to step back and remember how blessed we are. We do have plenty to spare. I am not only talking about money. We have been given much...let's give like it. "To whom much is given, much is required."

No comments: