Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hunger

I am reading in Matthew 5 tonight and read the verse "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Immediately I cried out to God "Give me this hunger and thirst!"... I am not desperate to be filled. Lord what an awesome comparison it is to our physical needs. Lord every day I hunger for food. Every day I thirst. I can not curve this hunger or thirst. Every day I have this strong desire that must be fulfilled. Why then do I not have this same desire for Your righteousness? Why then must I many times try to create this hunger? Is there a God-given hunger for righteousness just as there is a God-given hunger for food? A Christian must feed on righteousness to be healthy just as the physical man must eat. There indeed is a natural God-given hunger for righteousness born within the new creature. We are a new creation awakened to the desire for Christ-likeness. What natural man would desire such food? This must be a Spirit - breathed desire. However, has this hunger been filled with other food, so as to stifle the hunger pains for spiritual food? Are we so filled with junk food that we narrowly crave the nutritious? Maybe we have feasted on decent food, maybe even good food. Yet our Father has prepared a table of the finest food and drink that the new creature could ever desire. The full soul loathes the honeycomb. This is the very reason it is painfully hard for a rich man to be saved. Maybe it is time to proclaim a new fast...a fast from pleasurable things...a fast from even good things...to once again obtain the hunger for the best of all things. Maybe it is time to lay aside every weight and gird our armour as a soldier. To take up our cross, forsaking all to gain Christ. Once one has tasted of the finest food and drink, nothing again can satisfy quite as much. Lord I sit at Your table tonight to dine. I hunger and thirst. I invite all my brothers and sisters to join me for a feast. Feed us O Lord. We are anemic. We suffer from malnutrition. Prepare us your best O Lord and nothing else. To eat this food You must revive us Oh Father. Nothing else will satisfy. Prepare us only the purest and the finest of all. Give us You. Let physical hunger be a nuisance. For You so fulfill our every need that all else is but dung. Thank you Lord for postponing my physical rest. Let me rest only in You. Must I sleep? Be my rest O God. Be my food. Be my drink. Be my breath. Be my life. I absolutely cannot be satisfied without You. I have tasted of the finest of all things and nothing else satisfies. Let me rest only in You. May my thoughts be Your thoughts and as I sleep tonight, let my dreams be Your dreams.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Post!!! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Blessing to a mother's heart