Monday, January 11, 2010

The Benchwarmer

He was sitting on a bench

wiping his mouth of crumbs

what looked to be

pieces of chicken nuggets

He used his ragged sleeve

to “clean” his mouth

Just then he began to whistle…

phwe phwe to phou to phee

phou phou to phou to phwe

“this is the life for me

sitting watchn’ the birds and bees”



The mind of a child I wonder?

Stuck on the times of instruction

Afraid to look like a filthy

mouth piece of messed up ideas?



My curiosity draws me closer

I sit down next to him

………

………

Smack!

He hits me on the back

“Son, don’t ever look back…

carry on and on (he keeps hitting me on the back)

I’m a benchwarmer

A filthy piece of chicken mess

I keep looking back

I can’t look forward

Rise up now boy!

Run away from here!

Is this what you want to be?!

Be bold - be strong

Clench your fist

It won’t be long

Turn now and face your fears

rise up and wipe those tears

Take the challenge and run

with grace

Take your medicine

with a determined face

You must not turn

back again (he grabs my face and holds it forward)



Look!

Can you see the horizon?

It’s not far!

You must run now my friend!

Go now and never look back!”


Without hesitation

I run with all my might

towards the light

with his voice slowly

fading in the background…

“don’t ever look back!

don’t ever look back!

don't ever.....”

1/11/10
Copyright © 2010 Brian Jackson All rights reserved

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Powerful and convicting

Anonymous said...

you encourage me. it made my heart turn inward to contemplate what christ is currently doing in my life, what i might look forward to, what i might leave behind.
thank you. :)

Anonymous said...

I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Phil.3:13,14